Tuesday, February 8, 2011

PBA on Studio 23

Back in 2008, I was involved in the bidding process to get the TV Rights for the PBA games. I have since moved to FOX and boy, the landscape of sports television has changed in a major way. The games are now going to be on Studio 23 instead of RPN 9 as Solar has entered into a blocktime agreement with ABS-CBN.

This development certainly shifts the power of influence as far as sports broadcasting is concerned, to ABS-CBN. There have also been earlier reports that the NBA games will now also be on Studio 23. So the three most popular leagues in the country will now be on Studio 23, the UAAP, the NBA, and the PBA. This puts ABS-CBN sports as a clear leader in sports broadcasting in the country. I reckon Solar probably did not like the way things were going and needed a change of scenery to right the ship, thus the partnership.

Solar is no stranger to reformatting. They've reformatted RPN 9 a number of times. At the beginning of this year, they announced that ETC and Solar TV are both going to get major facelifts. So this new direction now does not have room for sports.

Hey, just as long as we all still get to watch high quality sports programming, the networks can do whatever they want.

4 comments:

Francy said...

Hi,

I am looking for Sports advertisers for a client, and your site "kaboomphilippines.blogspot.com" looks perfect!

Would you be interested in getting compensated as an advertiser for us? If so, please let me know so we can discuss some payment
options.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Francy
fran@hstreetmedia.com

Krysia said...

Hi Jude Turcuato - sorry for contacting you this way and don't wish to be annoying but keen to get stuck into TV work here in Manila. I am writing to you to introduce myself, and hopefully persuade you that you need me to work at Fox international channels in order to enhance and improve your business and television content. I know you want to introduce new home grown Filipino TV talent and content and I can help!

In brief, I am a British National with a work permit for the Philippines (moved here in Jan with my husband) and I have worked in London for the BBC, ITN and the Financial Times, amongst other organisations. For the past two years, I have been living in Australia, where I worked for ABC Australia radio producing and making documentaries and drama documentaries for Foxtel's History Channel and corporate videos for Australian Government departments. Most recently I produced two documentaries for The History Channel. I'm keen to get back into TV work and don't want it to end just because i'm in a new country (once again). I've read many articles about how committed you are to putting the Philippines on the map for TV content and i'm brimming with ideas - I was a development executive for an indie in australia. Any chance you need a development executive? I'm so keen and eager i'll even offer my services for free for a week to show you what i can do. Sorry for the desperate pleas but you've got to be in it to win it or something like that - thanks Krysia

Nehv @ PBA Latest News said...

This moment that PBA aired in Studio 23 this is favor for my father because he is a fan of PBA and Studio 23 has a clear reception in our province even without cable. Thanks for this.

apple said...

PBA is on IBC 13 now. I think it's been a year since they aired it. I'm just blog walking and looking for PBA news until I fall in your blog. Hope you will update this for your readers.